Typical Portuguese dishes includes the various rice dishes with seafood, because Portugal is a big producer of their own rice varieties. This recipe is created by Portuguese reknowned chef Vitor Sobral. The perfect rice to use in this dish is the carolino variety.
1,5 kg cod loins, Terra do Bacalhau
500 g rice, Carolino
300 g de red beans, cooked
150 g red pepper, peeled and cut in cubes
200 g tomatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
200 g onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 dl white wine
1,8 l vegetable broth
1 dl olive oil, extra virgin
Sea salt, traditional, to taste
Cilantro, chopped, to taste
- Always start by soaking the codfish according to instruction before preparing. To test if the fish is ready, take out a small piece of the thickest part of the loin and taste it. It should have an appealing saltiness when ready. If you start gasping for water, it´s not ready and you will need to soak it more.
- Place a pan on low-medium heat and add olive oil, garlic, onion and bay leaf and let it sweat in the pan for a couple of minutes. Then add pepper and tomatoes and simmer of 5 minutes more.
- Wash the rice in running water before use.
- Add the codfish, white wine, the broth, the rice and the beans and stir gently until it´s mixed. Place a lid on the pan, bring to the boil and let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Switch off the heat and let the rice rest for three minutes before serving.
- Finally, add some salt if necessary and the chopped cilantro, then serve.