The traditional Christmas meal in Portugal, called “consoada”, consists of cod, chickpeas, boild cabbage and other vegetables, eggs and a delicious garlicky vinagrette. The name is Bacalhau com todos, which means cod with everything.The dish however is also served throughout the year as it is broadly popular.
4 cod loins Terra do Bacalhau
100 g of canned chickpeas
240 g of sliced cabbage
1 chopped onion
2 sliced garlic cloves
olive oil extra virgin
- Always start by soaking the cod loins according to instructions.
- Simmer the vegetables except the chickpeas in lightly salted water. When the vegetables are done add the soaked cod loins and let them simmer for 10 minutes.
- Boil the eggs.
- Heat the chickpeas before serving.
- Make a vinagrette from olive oil, vinegar and garlic.
- Serve the fish with boild vegetables, chickpeas and eggs, sprinkle with vinagrette and chopped parsley.