The traditional Portuguese recipe Bacalhau com broa is a favourite of many and it´s not hard to taste why: The sweet and crunchy from the corn bread mixed with the salty and juicy tastes from the salted cod is a feast for the taste buds. Abroad it might be difficult to get hold of the genuine Portuguese corn bread called “broa”. Although not quite the same, it could be substituted with bread crumbs. Remove the stems from the parsley.
Not too difficult
4 loins of cod Terra do Bacalhau
1/4 of broa de milho, Portuguese corn bread (or 2 dl breadcrumbs)
2 Portuguese linguiças (spice sausages), or 0.5 Portuguese or Spanish chorizo
1 garlic clove
- Always start by soaking the cod loins according to instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Begin by slicing the onions and drizzle a baking pan with olive oil.
- Spread the onion on the baking pan and place the cod loins on top, then place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cod is in the oven remove the crust of the corn bread.
- Remove the skin of the linguiça, or chorizo, and cut into small cubes.
- Crush and chop the garlic.
- In a mincer or other kitchen machine place the sausage, add bits of bread, garlic and parsley and chop coarsely.
- Remove the cod from the oven and scoop a couple of spoonful of olive oil into the bread mixture. Remove the skin from the loins, spread the bread mixture on top of the loins and place in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- This dish is often served with roast potatoes and sauteed spinach.