Confit means to poach in fat or oil, and the firm texture of salted cod is well suited for this cooking technique. The combination of fresh and crispy, grilled vegetables and the delicate flavour of the cod is simply irresistible. This recipe is suggested by restaurant Sociedade Parede, near Lisbon.
4 salted cod loins, Terra do Bacalhau
3 garlic, sliced
Cilantro, chopped, to taste
200 g green beans, sliced
90 g baby carrots
90 g baby pumpkin, cut in halves
90 g baby courgette
200 g small potatoes, to cook
90 g broccoli
4 quail eggs
8 dl olive oil, extra virgin
Coriander sprouts, to decorate
Salicornias, to decorate
- Always start by soaking the codfish according to instruction before preparing. To test if the fish is ready, take out a small piece of the thickest part of the loin and taste it. It should have an appealing saltiness when ready. If you start gasping for water, it´s not ready and you will need to soak it more.
- Pre-heat the oven at 150ºC.
- Place the cod on a tray and sprinkle the olive oil on top until the fish is covered. Add sliced garlic and cilantro and cover with tin foil. Place in the oven and leave for 20 minutes. It should be done when the fish meat turns opaque, and you can separate the flakes with no resistance.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes, the broccoli and the green beans. Boil the quail egg.
- Grill the pumpkin, the carrot and the courgette.
- Serve the cod confit with the vegetables, decorated with the sprouts and the salicornia.