How to soak
Salt cod is dried, salted cod that needs to be re-hydrated and de-salted before use. The time to soak ready-to-cook cured cod depends which part of the fish you are soaking and also its size. There are however some general tips on how to soak your cod perfectly ready-to-cook.
- Rinse superfluous salt off from the fish by running cold tap water over the fish.
- Place the fish in a container that goes into the refrigerator. The fish skin should be facing up.
- Change the water every 24 hours, always with cold water.
Tips: Whole, cut fish
Recommended soaking time is 3 to 4 days. In the mean time check the thinnest parts, with around 1 cm thickness, by tasting them. Take them out if they are done, and leave the thickest pieces to soak the whole time.
Tips: Cured shredded cod “desfiado”, tongues and swim bladder.
Rinse in cold water, then leave to soak in cold water between 12 and 15 hours. The fish can be prepared immediately.
- Unscrew the cap, tear off the safety protection and fill the Codbag with cold water up to the indicated mark.
- Screw the cork and place in the refrigerator.
- Change the water every 24 hours.
Soaking time Codbag:
CodBag loins, with or without loins: 3 to 4 days
CodBag Shredded “Desfiado”: 12 to 24 hours.
How to store
Cured cod in its dry state should be stored in the packaging in a cool, dark place (between 0- 7ºC).
After the fish is soaked, it should be prepared immediately or stored in the freezer. Dried cured cod should not be stored in the freezer.
The importance of a good cure
To get the best quality it is important that cured cod from Terra do Bacalhau is cured in salt for 9 months. This ensures the cod obtains a unique, cured taste, a light straw yellow colour and flakes perfectly after preparation.
O Nosso Cod Bag®
Demolhar bacalhau nunca foi tão fácuil.
Agora pode demolhar o verdadeiro Bacalhau da Noruega preparado de forma artesanal e com 9 meses de cura sem ter de o retirar da embalagem. Simples e pratico!
- Abra a tampa, retire a protecção de segurança e encha o CodBag com água fria até ao limite indicado.
- Feche e coloque no frigorífico.
- Mude a água de 24 em 24 horas.
Tempos de demolha:
CodBag lombos com e sem espinha: 3 a 4 dias
CodBag bacakhau desfiado: 12 a 24 horas.