Try this lovely Portuguese snack where salted cod is dressed in puff pastry. The recipe comes from our friends at restaurant Sociedade in Parede, near Lisbon.
2 shredded cod, Terra do Bacalhau
2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 dl cream
Salt, to taste
Nutmeg, to taste
Cilantro, chopped, to taste
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp flour
4 sheets of puff pastry
Eggs, beaten, to brush
Cheese, grated, to taste
Pink pepper, to decorate
Chives, chopped, to decorate
- Soak the codfish according to instruction. At the end of the soaking time you could taste some fibers from the cod. It should have a mild and pleasant salt taste. If it is too salty, then it needs to soak more.
- Braise the garlic and onion in olive oil on medium-low heat while stirring occationally until they soften slightly.
Stir in the codfish and cook for 1 minute, then add the cream, salt if necessary, pepper and nutmeg. Sprinkle the cilantro.
- Add milk and flour and stir until the sauce become thick and even.
- Pre-heat the oven for 190°C
- Cut a rectangle from the center of the sheet of puff pastry and place over a whole sheet. Repeat the process for the other sheets. Bake for a few minutes until the dough flakes and set aside.
- Distribute the cod filling in the middle of each puff pastry, brush the edges with beaten egg and sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Bring the pastry to the oven, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve the puff pastrys decorated with pink pepper and chopped chives and preferably with a salad on the side.