Another one of the classic Portuguese recipes is this one. The name comes from the owner of the creator of the recipe, a certain Zè do Pipo, who was a restaurant owner in Porto. This version is from chef Vitor Sobral, and the quantity is for a family gathering, Portuguese style.
10 codfish loins, Terra do Bacalhau
1,750 kg mashed potatoes
200 g onion, chopped
2,5 l milk
0,5 dl olive oil, extra virgin
2 Bay leaves
Mayonnaise, to taste
Black olives, chopped, to taste
Pepper, freshly ground
Sea salt, ground
- Always soak the codfish according to instruction before use. .
- In a big pan bring the milk to a boil and lower the heat. Let the codfish simmer in the milk for 10 minutes, strain and reserve the milk. Reserfve the codfish.
- Saute the olive oil, onion, bay leafs, some salt and a bit of the milk until the onion is soft.
- Place the cooked codfish in a clay dish or other recipient that can stand heat. Pour the onion mix over the cod loins and cover with mayonnaise. Cover with mashed potatoes and place in the oven, to gratinate, 200 °C for 20 minutes.
- Decorate with chopped olives and serve.