The list of classic Portuguese salted codfish recipes are neverending, but this happens to be one of my favourites. Creamy cod bake, “Bacalhau com natas” is layered by salted cod, fried potatoes and onion, before topped off with cream and bechamel sauce. It´s a comforting dish for the whole family, perfect when the temperature drops.
500 g shredded cod, Terra do Bacalhau
500 g potatoes
2 onions, sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped
500 ml bechamel sauce
250 ml cream
2 bay leafs
Oil, to fry
Olive oil extra virign, to taste
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Ground nutmeg, to taste
- Always soak the cod according to the instructions before preparing. Simmer the cod for a few minutes, drain and reserve.
- Cut the potatoes in cubes, fry them and reserve.
- Place a non-stick frying pan on low-medium heat and braise the onion, garlic and bay lefs in the olive oil until slightly soft. Add the cod, then the bechamel sauce, and blend well. Bring to a simmer, then add the cream. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- Grease a tray with a little butter, add a layer of potatoes followed by a layer of the codfish mixture. Follow this order until everyting is used. The last layer should be with the codfish mixture. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes on 200 °C until it´s golden on top.